Mark Stremler, Ph.D.
- Engineering Mechanics Graduate Chair
- Dynamics and control
- Fluid mechanics
- Fluid mechanics, including reduced-order mathematical, numerical, and experimental models of fluid flows
- Fluid-structure interaction, flows dominated by coherent vortical structures, mixing and separation in laminar flows, and fluid dynamics in biological systems
- Dynamical systems theory and chaos, including topological chaos and applications to fluid motion and mixing
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Ph.D., Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 1998
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: M.S., Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 1995
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology: B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1993
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology: B.S., Mathematics, 1993
Awards, Honors, and Service
- Otto Moensted Visiting Professor, Department of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, Technical University of Denmark, Spring 2022 [updated: research leave and visiting position postponed due to COVID]
- Guest co-Editor, Regular and Chaotic Dynamics, special issue on vortex dynamics to commemorate the 200th birthday of H. von Helmholtz, 2020-2021
- Graduate Chair of Engineering Mechanics, 2019-present
- Director, Multi-Scale Transport in Environmental and Physiological Systems (MultiSTEPS) IGERT Program, 2010-2017
- Graduate Chair of Engineering Mechanics, 2014-2016
- Director of Undergraduate Studies in ESM, 2010-2011, 2013-2014
- Visiting Fellow, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge, UK, 2012
- Certificate of Teaching Excellence, College of Engineering, 2010
- Dean's Faculty Fellow, College of Engineering, 2009 - 2012
- Liviu Librescu Faculty Prize, 2009
- Army Research Office Young Investigator, 2004
M.A. Stremler, S. Basu & E. Masroor (2020) Streamline patterns in 2P vortex street equilibria, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 901 E2, 1-4.
W. Yang & M.A. Stremler (2019) Critical spacing of stationary tandem circular cylinders at Re ~100, Journal of Fluids and Structures 89, 49-60 (special issue on Bluff Bodies and Vortex-Induced Vibration).
I. Lazar, J. Deng, M. Stremler & S. Ahuja (2019) Microfluidic reactors for advancing the MS analysis of fast biological responses, Microsystems & Nanoengineering 5(7), 16 pp.
V.S. Krishnamurthy & M.A. Stremler (2018) Finite-time collapse of three point vortices in the plane, Regular and Chaotic Dynamics 23(5), 530-550.
K. Kikuchi, M.A. Stremler, S. Chatterjee, W.-K. Lee, O. Mochizuki & J.J. Socha (2018) Burst mode pumping: A new mechanism of drinking in mosquitoes, Scientific Reports 8, 4885.
A.R. Hyler, N.C. Baudoin, M.S. Brown, M.A. Stremler, D. Cimini, R.V. Davalos & E.M. Schmelz (2018) Fluid shear stress impacts ovarian cancer cell viability, subcellular organization, and promotes genomic instability, PLOS ONE 13(3), e0194170.
V.S. Krishnamurthy, H.Aref & M.A.Stremler (2018) Evolving geometry of a vortex triangle, Physical Review Fluids 3(2), 024702 (17pp).
S. Basu & M.A. Stremler (2017) Exploring the dynamics of '2P' wakes with reflective symmetry using point vortices, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 831, 72-100.
N. Vorobtsova, C. Chiastra, M.A. Stremler, D.C. Sane, F. Migliavacca & P. Vlachos (2016) Effects of vessel tortuosity on coronary hemodynamics: an idealized and patient-specific computational study, Annals of Biomedical Engineering 44(7), 2228-2239.
Basu & M.A. Stremler (2015) On the motion of two point vortex pairs with glide-reflective symmetry in a periodic strip, Physics of Fluids 27, 103603, 20 pp.
M.A. Stremler & S. Basu (2014) On point vortex models of exotic bluff body wakes, Fluid Dynamics Research 46(6), 061410, 13 pp.