Mark Stremler, Ph.D.
- Engineering Mechanics Graduate Chair
- Dynamics and control
- Fluid mechanics
- Theoretical fluid mechanics, including mathematical and numerical modeling of fluid flows
- Laminar flows, particularly mixing and separation in highly viscous, small-scale, and/or non-Newtonian fluids, fluid transport in biological systems, and flows dominated by coherent vortical structures
- Dynamical systems theory and chaos, including topological chaos and applications to fluid motion
- Applications at the interface of engineering and the life sciences, including multi-scale atmospheric transport, internal physiological flows, and MEMS for biochemical analysis
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Ph.D., Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 1998
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: M.S., Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 1995
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology: B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1993
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology: B.S., Mathematics, 1993
Awards, Honors, and Service
- Director, Multi-Scale Transport in Environmental and Physiological Systems (MultiSTEPS) IGERT Program, 2010-2017
- Graduate Chair of Engineering Mechanics, 2014-2016
- Director of Undergraduate Studies in ESM, 2010-2011, 2013-2014
- Visiting Fellow, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge, UK, 2012
- Certificate of Teaching Excellence, College of Engineering, 2010
- Dean's Faculty Fellow, College of Engineering, 2009 - 2012
- Liviu Librescu Faculty Prize, 2009
- Army Research Office Young Investigator, 2004
S. Basu & M.A. Stremler (2017) Exploring the dynamics of '2P' wakes with reflective symmetry using point vortices, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 831, 72-100.
N. Vorobtsova, C. Chiastra, M.A. Stremler, D.C. Sane, F. Migliavacca & P. Vlachos (2016) Effects of vessel tortuosity on coronary hemodynamics: an idealized and patient-specific computational study, Annals of Biomedical Engineering 44(7), 2228-2239.
Basu & M.A. Stremler (2015) On the motion of two point vortex pairs with glide-reflective symmetry in a periodic strip, Physics of Fluids 27, 103603, 20 pp.
M.A. Stremler & S. Basu (2014) On point vortex models of exotic bluff body wakes, Fluid Dynamics Research 46(6), 061410, 13 pp.
E.S. Elvington, A. Salmanzadeh, M.A. Stremler & R.V. Davalos (2013) Label-free isolation and enrichment of cells through contactless dielectrophoresis, Journal of Visualized Experiments 79, e50634.
P. Beelen, M. Brøns, V.S. Krishnamurthy & M.A. Stremler (2013) Recent progress in the relative equilibria of point vortices - In memoriam Hassan Aref, Procedia IUTAM 7, 3-12.
P. Grover, S.D. Ross, M.A. Stremler & P. Kumar (2012) Topological chaos, braiding and bifurcation of almost-cyclic sets, Chaos 22(4), 043135, 16 pp.
P. Rao, A. Duggleby & M.A. Stremler (2012) Mixing analysis in a lid-driven cavity flow at finite Reynolds numbers, Journal of Fluids Engineering - Transactions of the ASME 134, 041203, 8 pp.
A. Salmanzadeh, L. Romero, H. Shafiee, R.C. Gallo-Villanueva, M.A. Stremler, S.D. Cramer & R.V. Davalos (2012) Isolation of prostate tumor initiating cells (TICs) through their dielectrophoretic signature, Lab on a Chip 12, 182-189.
A.V. Borisov, V.V. Meleshko, M. Stremler & G. van Heijst (2011) In Memorium: Hassan Aref (1950-2011), Regular and Chaotic Dynamics 16(6), 671-684.