Robotics & Sensorimotor Control Lab
- Cardiovascular engineering
- Dynamics and control
- Populations: stroke, cerebral palsy
- Impairments: sensory, perceptual, and motor as relevant to movement
- Techniques: robotics, psychophysics, sensory substitution, electrophysiology (e.g., EMG, EEG), biophysical signal processing, neuroimaging (e.g., DTI)
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 2010
- M.S.E. Mechanical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 2007
- B.S.E., Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, University of Pennsylvania, 2004
Awards, Honors, and Service
- Karl Rosengren Faculty Mentoring Award, 2020
- National Institutes of Health Career Development Award, 2018 - 2023
N. Gurari, J. M. Drogos, and J. P.A. Dewald, Investigation of how Accurately Individuals with Hemiparetic Stroke can Mirror their Forearm Positions. PLOS ONE, vol 16, issue 4, 2021.
N. Cai, J. P.A. Dewald, and N. Gurari, Accuracy in Judging Self-Generated Elbow Torques During Multi-Joint Isometric Tasks. Scientific Reports, vol 10, article 13011, 2020.
N. Cai, J. M. Drogos, J. P.A. Dewald, and N. Gurari, Individuals with Hemiparetic Stroke can Accurately Judge their Self-Generated Elbow Torques. Frontiers in Neuroscience, vol 13, article 1293, 2019.
N. Gurari, N. A. van der Helm, J. M. Drogos, and J. P.A. Dewald, Accuracy of Individuals Post-Hemiparetic Stroke in Matching Torques Between Arms Depends on the Arm Referenced. Frontiers in Neurology - Stroke, vol 10, article 921, 2019.
N. Gurari, J. M. Drogos, and J. P.A. Dewald, Ability of Individuals with Chronic Hemiparetic Stroke to Locate their Forearms during Single-Arm and Between-Arms Tasks. PLOS ONE, vol 13, issue 10, pp. 1-24, 2018.
N. Gurari, J. M. Drogos, S. Lopez, and J. P.A. Dewald, Impact of Motor Task Execution on an Individual’s Ability to Mirror Forearm Positions. Experimental Brain Research, vol 236, issue 3, pp. 765-777, 2018.
N. Gurari, A. M. Okamura, and K. J. Kuchenbecker, Perception of Force and Stiffness in the Presence of Low-Frequency Haptic Noise. PLOS ONE, vol 12, issue 6, pp. 1-26, 2017.
N. Gurari, J. M. Drogos, and J. P.A. Dewald, Individuals with Chronic Hemiparetic Stroke can Correctly Match Forearm Positions Within a Single Arm. Clinical Neurophysiology, vol 128, issue 1, pp. 18-30, 2017.