Christopher Arena, Ph.D.
- Director of Experiential Learning
- Biomedical imaging
- Translational cancer research
- Biodesign process
- Engineering pedagogy
- Medical devices
- Needs-based innovation
- Problem-based learning
- Pulsed electric fields for drug delivery and tumor ablation
- Wearables and telemedicine
- Virginia Tech: Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, 2013
- University of Virginia: B.S., Biomedical Engineering, 2008
Awards, Honors, and Service
- Leader in Teaching, Department of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics, Virginia Tech, May 2020
- Distinguished Leading Research Award, Virginia Tech-Wake Forest School of Biomedical Engineering and Sciences, 2018
- Hultquist Award, Elon University, 2016
- College of Engineering Graduate Student of the Year, Virginia Tech, 2013
- 1st Place Student Paper Competition, ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference, 2012
- 1st Place Virginia Tech KnowledgeWorks Tech Transfer Challenge, 2012
Arena SL, Lee YW, Verbridge SS, Muelenaer AA, VandeVord PJ, and Arena CB. Web Conferencing Facilitation within Problem-Based Learning Biomedical Engineering Courses. Biomedical Engineering Education, Teaching Tips Special Issue - COVID, doi:10.1007/s43683-020-00020-1.
CB Arena, E Morshedzadeh, JL Robertson, AA Muelenaer, BD Hendershot, JL O’Leary, AM Lee, D Choudhury, P VandeVord (2020). “Work in Progress - Transdisciplinary Design Education in Biomedical Engineering and Industrial Design Towards Identifying Unmet Needs of Wounded Warriors.” ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition. Montreal, Quebec, Canada, June 21-24 (virtual).
S Campelo, M Valerio, HU Ahmed, SL Arena, RE Neal II, Y Hu, M Emberton, and CB Arena (2017). "An Evaluation of Irreversible Electroporation Thresholds in Human Prostate Cancer and Potential Correlations to Physiological Measurements".—Applied Physics Letters: Bioengineering. 1(1): 016101.
SM Fix, A Novell, Y Yun, PA Dayton, and CB Arena (2017). "An evaluation of the sonoporation potential of low boiling point phase-change ultrasound contrast agents in vitro".—Journal of Therapeutic Ultrasound. 5(1): 7.
CB Arena*, A Novell*, PS Sheeran, C Puett LC Moyer, and PA Dayton (2015). "Dual Frequency Acoustic Droplet Vaporization Detection for Medical Imaging".—IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control. 62(9): 1623-33.
CB Arena, RL Mahajan, MN Rylander, RV Davalos (2013). “An Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Phase Change Electrodes for Therapeutic Irreversible Electroporation.” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. 135(11):111009-9 (2013 Editor’s Choice Paper).
CB Arena, MB Sano, JH Rossmeisl Jr., JL Caldwell, PA Garcia, MN Rylander, RV Davalos (2011). "High-Frequency Irreversible Electroporation for Non-Thermal Ablation without Muscle Contraction".—BioMedical Engineering OnLine. 10:102 (Highly-Accessed).