Applying to the New Undergraduate Program in Biomedical Engineering
Program Roll-out and Application Process
Virginia Tech’s new Bachelor of Science (B.S.) program in biomedical engineering has been approved for limited enrollment during its first three years of roll-out. Year 1 will be limited to 40 initial students, Year 2 will be limited to 60 additional admitted students, and Year 3 will be limited to 80 additional admitted students.
This degree is housed within the Department of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics, and the student application and selection process will be administered within the department.
The 2019 application will consist of a three-phase process:
- February 4 – February 22: Students will apply via an online application.
- March 18 – March 22: Selected applicants will undergo an interview process with the department.
- Accepted students will complete the University Change of Major application on Hokie Spa.
All accepted students must be eligible to change into a degree granting program in the College of Engineering by August 21, 2019. More information on the Change of Major process and requirements can be found on the Department of Engineering Education website.
Initial Application Requirements
Any student who is accepted for transfer into the College of Engineering and is eligible to enroll in the cohort’s sophomore level biomedical engineering courses in the fall of 2019 can apply for admission into the program. Currently, admission is not restricted by degree program or academic level. However, regardless of academic level or coursework completed, students will not be able to graduate with an undergraduate degree in biomedical engineering until spring 2022 or later.
2019 Application and Admittance Timeline
- February 4 – 22: Complete the biomedical engineering undergraduate application online
- February 25 – March 9: Application review
- March 12: Applicants selected for interviews will be notified via email
- March 18 – 22: Biomedical engineering undergraduate interviews
- April 3: Accepted students will be notified via email
- May 6 – May 19: Accepted students complete the University Change of Major on Hokie Spa. Additional dates and deadlines for this process can be found on this Department of Engineering Education webpage under the Application Timeline tab.
If you have questions about the application process for the B.S. in biomedical engineering, please contact BEAM’s undergraduate advisor: