Anne Staples, Ph.D.
- Fluid mechanics
- Fluid flows in nature
- Insect respiration
- Coral hydrodynamics
- Planetary atmospheric flows
- Ocean basin flows
- Large eddy simulations
- High performance computing
- Naval Research Laboratory: National Research Council Postdoctoral Research Associate, Computational Physics and Fluid Dynamics, Washington, D.C., 2006-2008
- Princeton University: Ph.D., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 2006
- Princeton University: M.Eng., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 2001
- Cornell University: B.S., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 2000
Awards, Honors, and Service
- Core Fulbright U.S. Scholar in Haifa, Israel, 2016
- Virginia Tech Scholar of the Week, Office of Vice President for Research, 2015
- Student Paper Award (coauthor), ASME 2011 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference
- E-Council Excellence in Teaching Award, Princeton University, 2004
- Larisse Rosentweig Klein Memorial Award (for excellence in doctoral research), Princeton University, 2003
- Amelia Earhart Fellowship, Zonta International, 2002
- Service Scientific Committee Member, International Workshop on Complex Turbulent Flows, November 2017
- Chair, BEAM Faculty Collaboration Seminar committee, 2017 - Present
- Appointed Member, APS Division of Fluid Dynamics External Affairs Committee, 2013 - 2015
- Chair, Fluid Dynamics of Living Systems: An NSF Workshop on Emerging Directions in Biological Fluid Dynamics, September 2014
- Organizer, AmeriMech 2014: Mechanics in Biology II, May 2014
- Reviewer, Grant Proposals, ICTAS at Virginia Tech, 2013
- Member, ESM Computing Committee, 2013 - Present
- Member, ESM Department Executive Committee, 2012 - Present
- Member, Librescu and Granata Memorial Lecture Committee, 2011 - Present
- Reviewer, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Journal of the Royal Society Interface, and others, 2004 – Present
- Session Chair, American Physical Society Division of Fluid Dynamics Annual Meetings, 2004 - Present
- Organizer, 2009 Joint ASCE-ASME-SES Conference on Mechanics and Materials, June 2009
A. Kashefi and A. E. Staples, “A finite-element coarse-grid projection method for incompressible flow simulations,” Advances in Computational Mathematics, Online Firsthttp://: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10444-017-9573-5 (2017).
A. E. Staples and K. Chatterjee, “A model for tracheolar flow in insects”, Contributions to the Foundations of Multidisciplinary Research in Mechanics, edited by J.M. Floryan and published by IUTAM 2: 470-471 (2017).
M. M. Hossain and A. E. Staples, “Simulation of flow field inside a coral colony”, Contributions to the Foundations of Multidisciplinary Research in Mechanics, edited by J.M. Floryan and published by IUTAM 2: 1123-1124 (2017).
K. Chatterjee and A. E. Staples, “Slip flow in collapsing microchannels”, Contributions to the Foundations of Multidisciplinary Research in Mechanics, edited by J.M. Floryan and published by IUTAM 2: 1224-1225 (2017).
S. Jung, A. E. Staples, J. Dabiri, A. Marsden, M. Prakash, K. Davis, S. Shadden, T. Savin, L. Bourouiba, and J. Sznitman, “Research trends in biological fluid dynamics”, USNCTAM Report on Recent Trends in Mechanics (2016); http://sites.nationalacademies.org/cs/groups/pgasite/documents/webpage/pga_173280.pdf.
L. N. Azadani and A. E. Staples, “Large-eddy simulation of turbulent barotropic flows in spectral space on a sphere,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 72: 1727-1742 (2015).
O. San, A. E. Staples, and T. Iliescu, "A posteriori analysis on spatial filters for approximate deconvolution large eddy simulation for homogeneous incompressible flows," International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics 29 (1): 40-66 (2015).
Y. Aboelkassem and A. E. Staples, “A three-dimensional model for flow pumping in a microchannel inspired by insect respiration,” Acta Mechanica, 225 (2): 493-507 (2014).
L. N. Azadani and A. E. Staples, “Adaptive resolution refinement for pseudospectral simulations of isotropic homogeneous turbulence,” International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, 27 (8-10): 342-347 (2014).
Y. Aboelkassem and A. E. Staples, "A bioinspired pumping model for flow in a tube with rhythmic wall contractions," Journal of Fluids and Structures, 42: 187-204 (2013).