Anne Staples, Ph.D.
- Fluid mechanics
- Fluid flows in nature
- Cardiovascular fluid mechanics
mechanics of hemodialysis
- Insect biomechanics
- Insect respiration
- Coral hydrodynamics
- Planetary atmospheric flows
- Ocean basin flows
- Geophysical flows
- Large eddy simulations
- High performance computing
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Bioinspired medical devices
- Naval Research Laboratory: National Research Council Postdoctoral Research Associate, Computational Physics and Fluid Dynamics, Washington, D.C., 2006-2008
- Princeton University: Ph.D., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 2006
- Princeton University: M.Eng., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 2001
- Cornell University: B.S., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 2000
Awards, Honors, and Service
- Journal Topics Board Member (Topic Editor), Fluids, 2020 - Present
- Member, ESM Computing Committee, 2013 - Present
- Member, Librescu and Granata Memorial Lecture Committee, 2011 - Present
- Reviewer, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Journal of the Royal Society Interface, and others, 2004 – Present
- Session Chair, American Physical Society Division of Fluid Dynamics Annual Meetings, 2004 - Present
- Service Scientific Committee Member, International Workshop on Complex Turbulent Flows, November 2017
- Core Fulbright U.S. Scholar in Haifa, Israel, 2016
- Virginia Tech Scholar of the Week, Office of Vice President for Research, 2015
- Appointed Member, APS Division of Fluid Dynamics External Affairs Committee, 2013 - 2015
- Chair, Fluid Dynamics of Living Systems: An NSF Workshop on Emerging Directions in Biological Fluid Dynamics, September 2014
- Organizer, AmeriMech 2014: Mechanics in Biology II, May 2014
- Reviewer, Grant Proposals, ICTAS at Virginia Tech, 2013
- Student Paper Award (coauthor), ASME 2011 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference
- Organizer, 2009 Joint ASCE-ASME-SES Conference on Mechanics and Materials, June 2009
- E-Council Excellence in Teaching Award, Princeton University, 2004
- Larisse Rosentweig Klein Memorial Award (for excellence in doctoral research), Princeton University, 2003
- Amelia Earhart Fellowship, Zonta International, 2002
M. M. Hossain and A. E. Staples, "Effects of coral colony morphology on turbulent flow dynamics," Accepted, PLOS ONE (2020)
M. M. Hossain and A. E. Staples, “Mass transport and turbulent statistics within two branching coral colonies,” Fluids, 5(153): 1-20 (2020).
S. Tahmasian, A. Jafaryzad, N. L. Bulzoni, and A. E. Staples,”Dynamic analysis and design optimization of a drag-based vibratory swimmer,” Fluids, 5(38): 1-17, https://doi.org/10.3390/fluids5010038 (2020).
H. Vaddireddy, A. Rasheed, A. E. Staples, and O. San, “Feature engineering and symbolic regression methods for detecting hidden physics from sparse sensor observation data,” Physics of Fluids, 32, 015113:1-28, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5136351 (2020) (Editor's Pick)
M. M. Hossain and A. E. Staples, “Passive vortical flows enhance mass transfer in the interior of a coral colony,” In preparation for submission to Physics of Fluids (2019). (Invited submission & Editor's Pick)
A. E. Staples and M. Mikel-Stites, “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Microscale respiration and microfluidic technology,” Superhero Science and Technology, https://doi.org/10.24413/sst.2018.1.2474: 1-16 (2018).
K. Chatterjee and A. E. Staples, “Slip flow in a microchannel driven by rhythmic wall contractions,” Acta Mechanica, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00707-018-2210-7: 1-17 (2018).
M. M. Hossain, A. E. Staples, K. Takami, and T. Furukawa, “Steady state rolling and dynamic response of a tire at low frequency,” International Journal of Mechanical, Aerospace, Industrial, Mechatronic and Manufacturing Engineering, 12 (4): 416-422 (2018).
A. Kashefi and A. E. Staples, “A finite-element coarse-grid projection method for incompressible flow simulations,” Advances in Computational Mathematics, Online Firsthttp://: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10444-017-9573-5 (2017).
A. E. Staples and K. Chatterjee, “A model for tracheolar flow in insects”, Contributions to the Foundations of Multidisciplinary Research in Mechanics, edited by J.M. Floryan and published by IUTAM 2: 470-471 (2017).