Hosein Foroutan, Ph.D.
- Fluid mechanics
- Complex multiscale multiphysics fluid flow systems
- Environmental/geophysical/biological flows, earth systems, and climate dynamics
- Air quality and human health
- Renewable energy systems
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, National Exposure Research Laboratory: Postdoctoral Fellowship, Feb. 2015 – Aug. 2017
- Pennsylvania State University: Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering (Minor in Computational Science), 2015
- Iran University of Science and Technology: M.S., Mechanical Engineering, 2009
- Iran University of Science and Technology: B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 2006
Awards, Honors, and Service
- Early Career Research Award, the European Association for the Science of Air Pollution (EURASAP), 2016
- National Research Council (NRC) of the National Academies Postdoctoral Fellowship Award, 2014
- Hydro Research Foundation (HRF) / U.S. Department of Energy Fellowship Award, 2013
- ASME/IGTI Heat Transfer Committee Best Technical Paper Award, 2012
- U.S. Department of Energy Graduate Student Fellowship Award for Hydropower Research, 2011
Pye, H. O. T., Zuend, A., Fry, J. L., Isaacman-VanWertz, G., Capps, S. L., Appel, K. W., Foroutan, H., Xu, L., Ng, N. L., and Goldstein, A. H. (2018), Coupling of organic and inorganic aerosol systems and the effect on gas–particle partitioning in the southeastern US, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 18, 357-370.
Bullock Jr., O. R., Foroutan, H., Gilliam, R. C., and Herwehe, J. A. (2017), Adding Four Dimensional Data Assimilation by Analysis Nudging to the Model for Prediction Across Scales – Atmosphere (Version 4.0), Geosci. Model Dev. Discuss.
Appel, K. W., Napelenok, S. L., Foley, K. M., Pye, H. O. T., Hogrefe, C., Luecken, D. J., Bash, J. O., Roselle, S. J., Pleim, J. E., Foroutan, H., Hutzell, W. T., Pouliot, G. A., Sarwar, G., Fahey, K. M., Gantt, B., Gilliam, R. C., Heath, N. K., Kang, D., Mathur, R., Schwede, D. B., Spero, T. L., Wong, D. C., and Young, J. O. (2017), Description and evaluation of the Community Multiscale Air Quality (CMAQ) modeling system version 5.1, Geosci. Model Dev., 10, 1703-1732.
Foroutan, H., and J. E. Pleim (2017), Improving the simulation of convective dust storms in regional-to-global models, J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., 9, 2046–2060.
Foroutan, H., J. Young, S. Napelenok, L. Ran, K. W. Appel, R. C. Gilliam, and J. E. Pleim (2017), Development and evaluation of a physics-based windblown dust emission scheme implemented in the CMAQ modeling system, J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., 9, 585–608.
Foroutan, H. and Yavuzkurt, S. (2016), An axisymmetric model for draft tube flow at partial load, Journal of Hydrodynamics, Vol. 28(2), pp. 195-205.
Foroutan, H. and Yavuzkurt, S. (2015), Unsteady numerical simulation of flow in draft tube of a hydroturbine operating under various conditions using a partially-averaged Navier-Stokes model,” J. Fluids Engineering, Vol. 137(6), p. 061101.
Foroutan, H. and Yavuzkurt, S. (2015), Numerical simulations of the near-field region of film cooling jets under high free stream turbulence: Application of RANS and hybrid URANS/LES models, ASME J. Heat Transfer, Vol. 137(1), p. 011701.
Foroutan, H. and Yavuzkurt, S. (2014), A partially-averaged Navier-Stokes model for the simulation of turbulent swirling flow with vortex breakdown, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, Vol. 50, pp. 402-416.
Mehdizadeh, A., Foroutan, H., Vijayakumar, G., and Sadiki, A. (2014), A new formulation of scale adaptive simulation approach to predict complex wall bounded shear flows, Journal of Turbulence, Vol. 15(10), pp. 629-649.
- (540) 232-8400
224 Norris Hall
495 Old Turner St.
Blacksburg, VA 24061