Scott Case, Ph.D.
- Solid mechanics
Professor Case's research interests are in the experimental characterization and modeling of engineering materials. Recent focus areas include the response of lightweight structural materials to combined fire and mechanical loading as well as accelerated test method development to support long-term durability predictions.
- Virginia Tech: Ph.D., Engineering Mechanics, 1996
- Virginia Tech: M.S., Engineering Mechanics, 1993
- Virginia Tech: B.S., Engineering Science and Mechanics, 1992
Awards, Honors, and Service
- 2017: Leader in Research Award, BEAM
- 2016: Reynolds Metals Professor
- 2015: Fellow, American Society for Mechanical Engineers
- 2015: College of Engineering Dean's Award for Service
- 2007: College of Engineering Dean's Award for Research
- 2006: ABET IDEAL Scholar
- 2006: Virginia Tech Scholar of the Week
- 2004: College of Engineering Faculty Fellow
- 2004: Best Marine Technical Paper Award, American Composites Manufacturers Association
- 2002: College of Engineering Dean's Award for Outstanding New Professor
- 2000: Best Paper Award by Polymer Matrix Division within American Society for Composites
J. Hodges, C. Rippe, S.W. Case, B.Y. Lattimer, Predicting the structural response of a compartment fire using full-field heat transfer measurements, Fire Safety Journal,
Volume 91, 2017,Pages 471-479,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.firesaf.2017.03.011.
C. Rippe, S. Case, B. Lattimer, “Modeling post-fire behavior of aluminum structural components using a maximum temperature approach,” Fire Safety Journal, doi: 10.1016/j.firesaf.2017.03.041.
B. Aidi, M. Shaat, A. Abdelkefi, S.W. Case, “Free vibration analysis of cantilever open-hole composite plates,” Meccanica, Volume 52, Issue 11–12, pp 2819–2836, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11012-017-0626-0.
M. Shaat, B. Aidi, S. W. Case, A. Abdelkefi, “Predictions of the frequencies of bending-torsion coupled laminated composite plates with discontinuities: novel analytical modeling and experimental validation,” Composite Structures, Volume 180, 2017, Pages 334-350,
T. Tan, N.M. Cholewa, S.W. Case, R. De Vita, “Micro-structural and biaxial creep properties of the swine uterosacral-cardinal ligament complex,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 44(11), 2016, pp. 3225-3237.
T.B. Hartman, M.W. Hyer, S.W. Case, “Stress Recovery in Composite Laminates Including Geometrically Nonlinear and Dynamic Effects,” AIAA Journal, 2016, pp. 2521-2529.
R. Kalhor, H. Akbarshahi, S.W. Case, “Numerical Modeling of the Effects of FRP Thickness and Stacking Sequence on Energy Absorption of Metal-FRP Square Tubes,” Composite Structures, 146, 2016, pp. 231-246.
N. Cholewa, P.T. Summers, S. Feih, B.Y. Lattimer, S.W. Case, “A Technique for Coupled Thermo-Mechanical Response Measurement using 3-D Infrared Thermography Digital Image Correlation (TDIC),” Experimental Mechanics, 56(2), 2016, pp. 145-164.
Y. Chen, P. Summers, B.Y. Lattimer, S.W. Case, “Stress-induced Damage and Post-Fire Response of Aluminum 5083,” Materials Science & Engineering A, 641, 2015, pp. 369-379.
R. Kalhor, S.W. Case, “The effect of FRP thickness on energy absorption of metal-FRP square tubes,” Composite Structures, 130, 2015, pp. 44-50.