Jonathan Boreyko, Ph.D.
- Fluid mechanics
- Interfacial fluid mechanics
- Surface wettability of micro/nano-structured materials
- Phase-change heat transfer (condensation, frost, evaporation, and boiling)
- Biomimetic engineering
- Water and energy harvesting
- Droplet dynamics
- Synthetic trees
- University of Tennessee-Knoxville: Research Scientist, Bredesen Center, 2014
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences, 2012-14
- Duke University: Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, 2012
- Trinity College: B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 2007
- Trinity College: B.S., Physics, 2007
Awards, Honors, and Service
- 2017 Leader in Research Award, Biomedical Engr. & Mechanics Dept. (VT)
- 2017 Outstanding New Assistant Prof., College of Engineering Dean's Award (VT)
- 2017 NSF CAREER Award, NSF - CBET - Thermal Transport Processes
- 2016 Young Investigator Program Award, Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)
- 2016 Leader in Scholarship Award, Biomedical Engr. & Mechanics Dept. (VT)
- 2016 Junior Faculty Enhancement Award, Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU)
- 2016 Non-Tenured Faculty Award, 3M Company
- 2014 Best Poster Award (3rd Place), Fluid Dynamics of Living Systems Workshop
- 2014 Exceptional Contribution Award, MMT-2014 Conference, Ariel University, Israel
- 2013 Postdoc Achievement Award, Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences
- 2011 Best Poster Award (1st Place), Gordon Research Conference on Microfluidics
- 2011 Best Poster Award (2nd Place), MRS/ASM/AVS-NC Meeting
- 2010 Best Poster Award (2nd Place), Faraday Discussion 146 on Wetting Dynamics
- 2009 Gallery of Fluid Motion Winner, 62nd Annual APS DFD Meeting 2009 National Finalist, Collegiate Inventors Competition
S.F. Ahmadi, A.S. Berrier, W.M. Doty, P.G. Greer, M. Habibi, H.A. Morgan, J.H.C. Waterman, N. Abaid, and J.B. Boreyko, “Latent heat of traffic moving from rest,” New J. Phys. 19, 113034 (2017).
M.D. Mulroe, B.R. Srijanto, S.F. Ahmadi, C.P. Collier, and J.B. Boreyko, “Tuning Superhydrophobic Nanostructures to Enhance Jumping-Droplet Condensation,” ACS Nano 11, 8499-8510 (2017).
J.B. Boreyko, P.M. Caveney, S.E. Norred, C.W. Chin, S.T. Retterer, M.L. Simpson, and C.P. Collier, “Synthetic Biology in Aqueous Compartments at the Micro- and Nanoscale,” MRS Advances DOI: 10.1557/adv.2017.489 (2017).
K.R. Murphy, W.T. McClintic, K.C. Lester, C.P. Collier, and J.B. Boreyko, “Dynamic Defrosting on Scalable Superhydrophobic Surfaces,” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 9, 24308–24317 (2017).
K.F. Wiedenheft, H.A. Gao, X. Qu, J.B. Boreyko, F. Liu, K. Zhang, F. Eid, A. Choudhury, Z. Li, and C.H. Chen, “Hotspot cooling with jumping-drop vapor chambers,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 110, 141601 (2017).
S. Nath, S.F. Ahmadi, and J.B. Boreyko, “A Review of Condensation Frosting,” Nanoscale Microscale Thermophys. Eng. 21, 81–101 (2017).
P.M. Caveney, S.E. Norred, C.W. Chin, J.B. Boreyko, B.S. Razooky, S.T. Retterer, C.P. Collier, and M.L. Simpson, “Resource Sharing Controls Gene Expression Bursting,” ACS Synth. Biol. 6 , 334-343 (2017).
S. Nath and J.B. Boreyko, “On Localized Vapor Pressure Gradients Governing Condensation and Frost Phenomena,” Langmuir 32, 8350-8365 (2016).
J.B. Boreyko, R.R. Hansen, K.R. Murphy, S. Nath, S.T. Retterer, and C.P. Collier, “Controlling condensation and frost growth with chemical micropatterns,” Sci. Rep. 6, 19131 (2016).
X. Qu, J.B. Boreyko, F. Liu, R.L. Agapov, N.V. Lavrik, S.T. Retterer, J.J. Feng, C.P. Collier, and C.H. Chen, “Self-propelled sweeping removal of dropwise condensate,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 106, 221601 (2015).
- (540) 231-0469
222 Norris Hall
495 Old Turner St.
Blacksburg, VA 24061