Romesh Batra, Ph.D.
- Clifton C. Garvin Professor
- Solid mechanics
- Material failure under extreme loadings
- Functionally graded materials
- Micro-electro-mechanical systems
- Nanostructures, molecular mechanics/dynamics modeling
- Johns Hopkins University: Ph.D., Mechanics and Materials, 1972
- University of Waterloo,:M.A.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, 1969
- Punjabi University (India): B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1968
Awards, Honors, and Service
- ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) Honorary Member Award, 2015
- Selected as Fulbright Specialist in Nonlinear Solid Mechanics, 2013
- Engineering Science Medal from the Society of Engineering Science, 2009
- D.Sc. (Honoris Causa), Thapar University, India, 2006
E. Lin, X. You, R. Moffitt, R. Kennedy and R. C. Batra, Interdiffusion of Small Molecules into a Glassy Film via Coarse-Grained Molecular Dynamics Simulations, Polymer, 115, 273-284, 2017.
A. Pydah and R. C. Batra, Shear deformation theory using logarithmic function for thick circular beams and analytical solution for bi-directional functionally graded circular beams, Composite Structures, 172, 45-60, 2017.
P. H. Shah, J. Q. Zheng, V. Halls and R. C. Batra, Optimal cure cycle parameters for minimizing residual stresses, J. Composite Materials (DOI: 10.1177/0021998317714317).
Yegao Qu and R. C. Batra, Constrained moving least-squares immersed boundary method for fluid-structure interaction analysis, Int. J. Numerical Methods for Fluids (doi.org/10.1002/fld.4400).
E. Lin, X. You, R. Moffitt, R. Kennedy and R. C. Batra, Atomistic to Coarse Grained Simulations of Diffusion of Small Molecules into Polymeric Matrix, Computational Materials Science, 138, 448-461, 2017.
A. P. Chattopadhyay and R. C. Batra, Load’s temporal characteristics for annulling forced vibrations of linear elastic plates, Mechanics Research Communications, 85, 5-11, 2017.
U. Taetragool, P. H. Shah, V. Halls, J. Q. Zheng and R. C. Batra, Stacking sequence optimization for maximizing first failure initiation load followed by progressive failure analysis until the ultimate load, Composite Structures, 180, 1007-1021, 2017.
Y. Qu, R. Shi and R. C. Batra, An immersed boundary formulation for simulating high-speed compressible viscous flows with moving solids, J. Computational Physics, 354, 672-692, 2018.
Shantanu R. Ranade, Youliang Guan, Robert B. Moore, John G. Dillard, Romesh C. Batra, David A. Dillard Characterizing fracture performance and the interaction of propagating cracks with locally weakened interfaces in adhesive joints, Int. J. of Adhesion and Adhesives (accepted).
A. Pydah and R. C. Batra, Analytical solution for cylindrical bending of two-layered corrugated and webcore sandwich panels, Thin-Walled Structures, 123, 509-519, 2018.