Engineering Mechanics Graduate Admissions
Applying to the Engineering Mechanics Graduate Program
Applications are being accepted until January 14. Offers of financial aid are being made on a rolling basis, so some priority is given to applications received before the deadline.
Thank you for your interest in the engineering mechanics program at Virginia Tech! We look forward to getting to know you throughout the application process.
Applications to the Engineering Mechanics Graduate Program may be submitted online through the Virginia Tech Graduate School application system.
If you're considering graduate study in engineering mechanics, we encourage you to check out our research programs in the following areas, as well as affiliated faculty and labs:
More information about our application process can be found below, and read more about financial support here.
Frequently Asked Questions About EM Admissions
Applicants applying for admission to all Engineering Mechanics programs must apply to the Virginia Tech Graduate School using the Virginia Tech Graduate School Application.
Admission to the EM graduate program is for the Fall semester only through the online application process at Virginia Tech. The deadline for application submission each year is the second Friday in January for admittance the following Fall semester. All supporting material must be submitted by this deadline for full consideration.
Applicants to EM graduate programs must apply through the Virginia Tech Graduate School Application.
- Application requirements include:
- $75 application fee
- A B.S. degree in engineering, mathematics, physics, or a related field from a recognized university
- Three letters of recommendation
- All letters of recommendation must be completed through the online process as part of your application.
- Statement of purpose
- The statement of purpose articulates and demonstrates an applicant's specific qualifications and what that applicant's end goal might be once their work is completed. This document is submitted through the online application.
- When you are completing the online application, you will be asked to attach a current resume/CV.
- Any supplemental material, such as previous research experience and/or any program needs
- Official transcripts and test scores, should be sent directly to the Virginia Tech Graduate School, not to the department (see details below). **SPECIAL NOTE: The GRE requirement is optional for fall 2022 applicants.**
A minimum GPA of 3.0 is a Graduate School requirement. However, those with a GPA below 3.0 may be accepted under special conditions. Send all transcripts directly to the Graduate School, not to the department. Include a scanned copy of your unofficial college transcripts with your online application, then arrange for an official copy to be sent to us after you receive an offer of admission.
- **SPECIAL NOTE: The GRE requirement is optional for fall 2022 applicants.**
- GRE: Scores must be less than five years old. No minimum. Institution code 5859, no department code. Send scores directly to the Graduate School. **SPECIAL NOTE: The GRE requirement is waived for fall 2021 applicants.**
- TOEFL (for international students only): Scores must be less than two years old. Institution code 5859, no department code. Send scores directly to the Graduate School. You can read more about this testing requirement here.
- IELTS (for international students in lieu of TOEFL): Institution code 5859, no department code. Send scores directly to the Graduate School. You can read more about this testing requirement here.
We do not do pre-reviews of applications. Therefore, please refrain from sending any of the following directly to us: test scores, copies of transcripts, resume/CVs. We will evaluate your application materials once you officially apply via the Graduate School.
Jessica Grimes, Engineering Mechanics Graduate Coordinator