In Support of the Asian Community
Dear Engineering faculty, staff, and students:
We hope you’ve all had the opportunity to read this morning’s statement from Tim Sands and Menah Pratt-Clarke regarding the recent surge in violence and harassment directed toward members of the Asian community across the nation. We stand with fellow university leaders in condemning these disturbing, racially fueled, and unprovoked attacks, and we want to reemphasize our support of the Asian Pacific Islander Desi American (APIDA) community here at Virginia Tech and beyond.
Inclusiveness is a core value of the College of Engineering. In our classrooms and labs, through teaching and learning – in everything we do as Hokie Engineers – we seek to foster respect and equity for every individual. What starts here in our programs helps to build a more just society that is not only safe and welcoming, but through which we all benefit. We reaffirm our commitment to this collective responsibility.
We also recognize that these incidents contribute to the cumulative trauma and distress of those within the APIDA community. If you or someone you know is needing support during this time, please contact the Asian Cultural Engagement Center (ACEC) to get connected with Virginia Tech’s advocacy and support group. Additional resources are listed below.
Please join us in our efforts to ensure that our college and the broader university community are steadfastly working to ensure the safety, respect, and support of all individuals.
Julie Ross and Bev Watford,
- Virginia Tech Dean of Students
- State of Virginia Attorney General
- Nation-wide tracking
- Stop AAPI Hate guide, from the Office for Inclusion and Diversity (attached)
- Solidarity Vigil to End Violence Against Asians, organized by the Blacksburg Coalition for Justice (Saturday, 3/20)
Assistance or counseling support:
- Better Together
- Cook Counseling Center at 540-231-6557.
- Dean of Students Office at 540-231-3787. Referral to a campus cleric may be made through this office.
- Hokie Wellness at 540-231-2233 (students) or 540-231-8878 (employees)
- Office of Housing and Residence Life at 540-231-6205
- Women’s Center at Virginia Tech at 540-231-7806